HOLYLGM

Saturday, April 14, 2007

DOWN RIVER

Once in a great while I leave the mountain and head down river for a night on the town. Last night's occasion was my friend Mel Chin's (see House of Chin -Christmo.blogspot.com) opening at a Frederike Taylor Gallery on W22nd St. One of the best things about going to town is I can always name drop the next day. Let's see what minor cultural icons crossed my path?
First there was Gary Pini, ex of Profile records and the Brit version of war of the robots. He came in with artist Brigitte Engler and her husband PAPER mag publisher David Hershkovitz. Also in tow was filmmaker Tessa Hughes-Freeland. Her husband Chuckles McCormick was home watching their kid (my fishing buddy) Tristan. There was no booze at the opening so we just stood around and stayed sober. Then in came painters Alex and Alyson Grey. We caught up and Alyson showed me a picture of their daughter actress (Snowday) Zena Grey. Gary left. Mel talked about his work and eventually we all left to go the the dealer's house for some finger food.
On the wall was a really nice Sol Lewit drawing from 1972. Sol died last week and NPR obitted him as Sal Levitt. After that I drove everyone downtown and dropped David off at home to relieve the babysitter, continuing to Max. Fish with Brigitte and Tessa. The owner Ulli sat in the front booth with Orelia (Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter and her sister). I told Ulli how the Fish will always be my corner bar. She reminded me how I added the dot and dropped the c from Max Fisch. I hope when NPR obits me they mention that.
Eventually the ladies drifted home and I went over to Lit on 2nd. Ave. where Chuckles was starting his late shift as greeter and....? Chuck's brother Brice came in as did Revolt and some faceless youth. I got drunk on freebies and reminesced with Brice over his father Henri who knew Sartre and once served my drug addled band and I expresso on a silver platter at 6am in their Westport Ct. home. Brice told me how a developer bought the property and tore it down. It was built by the guy who designed the bufflalo head nickle. Just before closing there was a flurry of activity. Chuck went into host mode, opening the back VIP room and posting a bouncer at the door for members of the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Coxtown? or Coxwell? or The Cox.....I have no idea who they were, but Chuck assured me the were BIG! There was no one left in the bar for the bouncer to keep out. I'd met the skinny kid with the funny haircut from the YYYs before. He seems nice.

At 4am I drove to Chuck's and slept in Tristan's bed. Tristan and his buddy Michael were waiting to go to soccer practice when I got up. Tristan showed me pictures of him with a dove on his head and his bedroom for a Benneton photog who's doing a book on kids and their bedrooms. Tessa screened her latest film for me and gave me two of Chuck's pain killers. God bless her. On the way to the car this morning I didn't see anyone famous. Now I'm home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home